Friday, April 22, 2011

dry run.

i've tried to keep my posts balanced and not all pregnancy related,
but i'm one day away from my due date
& yesterday was kind of crazy so sorry.
if you hate pregnancy talk hit that x in the top right corner now.

so yesterday  i had my 39 week exam.
thought this was totally going to be routine.
i knew i was doomed as i sat in the waiting room for an hour.
watching some other woman's 11 month old crawl on the dirty carpet.
i was being a judgmental brat
& i apologize now.

i met with a new apn.
there are almost 10 docs/apns in my office
& i'm really not picky so i see whoevers available.

she performed the internal exam.
it hurt like hell.
& she told me i was not dilated.
but 'let me see if i can get in there'
wait what?

next she used the baby heart monitor thing.
baby's heart rate was irregular.
'how have his fetal movements been?'
'good, all the time'
'10 a day, 4 an hour?'
waiit.. i'm supposed to be counting.
i swear this is the first time any of my docs mentioned actual counting.
i mean every couple of hours i usually lay on my side or sit or drink water to get him to move.
but counting...
worst mom ever
& this baby isn't even here yet.

so she leaves
& tells me to get dressed.

comes back 5 minutes later..
'they're waiting for you at the hospital'
if you know me in real life you know i totally went into panic.

called the hubs who may or may not have panicked worse.
& he was two hours away.. crap.
luckily MIL & mom were both less than hour away and met me at the hospital.
at the hospital i thought this is it.
they placed me on fetal monitors.
the tech asked if my belly was getting hard.
sort of?
i was having contractions 4-5minutes apart.
suddenly i had back contractions.
baby wasn't moving much
& his heart rate stayed low.
my heart rate was low.

then i had an ultrasound.
they said pretty much...
nothing during the entire ultrasound.
(mind you at this point i'm still by myself at the hospital)
finally ultrasound was over..
'he looks to be about 8lbs 11oz'
i didn't say what i was thinking..
you're shitting me.

at this point MIL showed up followed quickly by my mom.
(mom had stopped at my house to pick up my bags
& let minion out incase this turned out to be the big one)
mom brought her camera of course.

back on fetal monitors with his two gmoms in the room..
baby livened up.
i swear he is just like his father.
loves commotion.

after 20 more minutes on the monitor
& talking with the on call doc about my ultrasound..
they decided to let me go.

contractions continued for most of the day,
but if i walked around they lessened..

as we walked out of the hospital we saw j's truck driving up.
he was so ready to have the baby.
best scene ever is watching your husband rush to meet your baby.

well another day.
and no baby.
one day until due date.
back to the doctors on tuesday unless something happens sooner.

& don't worry i'm counting baby movements now.


  1. 8 lbs 11 ounces? holy hell thats a big boy - im expecting over 9 lbs - you can do itttttt!! :) hahaha this whole story had me cracking up - love you holly!

  2. That is a story! Glad everyone is ok! You are having a big boy! Can't wait to hear that Santino is here and healthy! I check every day. Much love and good luck. Maybe the Easter bunny will bring him.

  3. So sorry you had to do all that alone. Hospitals, while absolutely amazing in emergency situations, can be cold and lonely. Just know almost every time I have ever heard guesses as to how big the baby is, they almost always exaggerate. Like even by a whole pound.

    Okay, stepping off my all natural soap box.